2011/09/30

Ending my Day...

I have been studying C.S. Lewis in my free time lately... I will admit that there hasn't been much free time :) I have loved to study him for decades and loved to read him when I was younger. But recently, I have been using him to study myself, my situation and my faith. Over the last few weeks I have found that many of the the large stack of books are starting to gather dust and only one rises quickly to my hand and I find myself thumbing through it and staring at the same paragraph. I think it is one of the most thought provoking set of sentences I have ever read.

“And grief still feels like fear. Perhaps, more strictly, like suspense. Or like waiting; just hanging about waiting for something to happen. It gives life a permanently provisional feeling. It doesn't seem worth starting anything. I can't settle down. I yawn, I fidget, I smoke too much. Up till this I always had too much time. Now there is nothing but time. Almost pure time, empty successiveness...”

I really feel this way. I am starting to realize that some of what I saw as fear was actually grief and most of what I saw as anger was actually despair and sorrow. Figuring out how to describe what I feel has been quite difficult and when I read this statement from Lewis, I actually took a quick breath and a voice in my head said 'That's it- That's really it.' I have found the words to describe how I feel which also helps me to understand and deal with it.

I have lost my joy, my heart, and potentially all that I possess. But I still have my life and my feelings and I will continue to move forward in faith and thru a divorce process that I never expected, never wanted and have to live with the choices that have been picked for me. I feel the constant movement of time and I am horribly busy with five classes and starting a new job and yet I feel that I have nothing but emptiness and time mixed together. And I should not feel this, but I feel alone and I feel the urge to withdraw from all around me. Funny enough, I feel embarrassed over my failure because I do not consider a marriage to fail through the faults of only one person and I have not been perfect. So in all my grief and tiredness and sorrow, I am sitting here wondering if I feel like withdrawing because I feel so much pain... or if I feel like withdrawing because I am embarrassed. I can be quite silly sometimes. :)

Well, here goes nothing...!

2 comments:

  1. Your ability to express these deep emotions through your writing is extraordinary. I feel there are great things ahead for you. Truly amazing things, academically, socially, and personally. You will get through this rough time and it will make you stronger. Yes, it will certainly change you, but that is what life is - change. You may have down times, times with low energy and low spirits where you cannot see how things will get better, but I think that you will weather those moments and rise. You are an amazing woman, Sonia, and I see so much wonder and beauty in your writing that I have no doubt of what you can become. Think of this trial as a tempering of your spirit and allow things to settle. One moment, one day at a time, and you will make it. You surely will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rocky. I really appreciate the compliments and support. It feels sort of sad and lonely sometimes. I am determined to survive and I am having some nice moments. I try to remember the good things and keep moving.

    ReplyDelete