2011/05/18

Systolic Fluctuation...

Well, the good news is that when I went to the doctor today my blood pressure had improved from last week's low of 82/52. We are not ready to cheer though because 90/58 isn't that much better... but at least my orthostatic hypertension is improving. And being a silly person, I must have gotten a gluten exposure sometime in the last twenty four hours because I am really feeling the effects. I can't for the life of my figure out what I ate so I am guessing that I was 'infected' working at the food pantry yesterday. So I am feeling really good about the systolic improvement, but I probably didn't help my heart much with the pain meds that I took to control the celiac pain this evening. It still sometimes surprises me how much it hurts and how easily I can be exposed to the gluten protein. It is so clear that the only way I was exposed was by working in an area with people eating gluten and microwaving it and touching me- that is such a frightening concept. I am not sure I will ever get used to it. It feels almost like I am a leper... in the sense that anyone who gets near me can hurt me without even meaning to. Celiac disease definitely doesn't improve my social life in the slightest and I find myself saying no to so much. So far this week I have declined an invitation for a baptism as well as a graduation party. It's just not work the risk.

I have managed to actually eat breakfast for six days in a row now and I am going to give it my best shot to do it tomorrow even though I am not sure I will feel up to it. I know that these occasional exposures are one of the things that keeps me from having consistent healthy eating habits... or at least consistently not eating. In some ways I wonder if I am anorexic without the psychological aspect. I am aware I am too thin, I don't like it, but I almost feel powerless some days to change it when I am facing nausea, difficulty finding food, lack of time, etc... The pain is so bad when I do get an exposure that it is so much easier to refuse food than risk the chance of exposure and since food is not easy, it just makes it harder when my life is in upheaval.

But hey, I am grateful that my blood pressure is improving! I am getting ready to have a weekend where I spend time taking care of a friend's farm which I am excited about... and try to get a ton of schoolwork done... which I am also excited about! The opportunity to play with goats, a large flock of chickens and lots of dogs sounds like quite a treat.. or at least I will do my best. I promise I will also eat a lot. So here is to a good... and hopefully... productive weekend! :)

2 comments:

  1. I am sorry you are sick. Not fun. I hope you get better soon and great job for eating!!My family has low blood pressure. It's normal for myself and a few other family members so to me I look at your numbers and thing, wow, it looks like mine, lol. There is nothing wrong with me or them, it's just how it is. When I was prego and got very high blood pressure with Cameron the doctors were very worried because I normally and so low that they took Cameron right away. That was the only time in my life I have ever had to worry about high blood pressure. Hvae fun on the farm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am starting to feel better and the numbers are slowly climbing up. I tend to run low as well but my average is 96/68 which is at the lower end of the low spectrum. I do not think that my doctors would worry so much except that I am having the orthostatic problems which I will admit can be fun, but not entirely good I'm sure. I am enjoying the sunny weather and doing my best to work on my health. New goslings is nice.... :)

    ReplyDelete